Dental health is essential to a healthy, happy smile. As a parent, you can be a big help in making sure your kids have good oral care habits from a young age. Especially for children, Developing a strong oral care routine is important.
In fact, when kids learn the importance of oral health at a young age, they’re more likely to maintain excellent oral hygiene habits. The habit of brushing your teeth twice a day is especially important. Most dentists recommend beginning brushing at age one. That means it’s not too early to begin flossing your child’s teeth.
Flossing is a simple, affordable, and effective way to remove plaque that you can’t see. Fluoride strengthens tooth enamel and reduces cavities. Studies show that it can reduce cavities in children by 18-40% and by about 35% in adults.
Common Dental Problem Faced By Kids
If your child is experiencing pain in any area of their mouth or is experiencing white spots on their teeth or is experiencing sensitivity to cold foods, schedule an appointment with your dentist immediately for treatment. Dental caries is the result of bacteria buildup, an increase in carbohydrates and sugars in the mouth, and a lack of oral hygiene. The bacteria leads to plaque formation, explains the American Dental Association. Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that hardens to form tartar. Tartar can only be removed through professional cleaning by your dentist or dental hygienist.
- Cavities are a serious dental disease that can cause the tooth’s enamel to crumble.
- Cavities are common for many children; however, they can be avoided by brushing their teeth twice daily and visiting the dentist every 6 months.
- Dental crowding and alignments are common scenarios in children.
- When your child’s primary teeth are over-retained in the oral cavity, they can cause the permanent teeth to not emerge in an effective manner. This can lead to malaligned teeth which would require braces for proper alignment.
- Your best dentists suggest extracting these over-retained milk teeth to allow for the complete eruption of your child’s permanent teeth.
- Bracing is an affordable way to correct misaligned teeth. Your orthodontist will recommend the best type of braces, based on your individual needs.
- Braces correct gaps, misalignment, and improve the aesthetics of the smile.
- With the use of braces, we can ensure a balanced bite and a well-aligned set of teeth to reduce future pain in your child’s jaw.
- Space maintainers help prevent misalignment of teeth, or “malocclusions,” before they happen.
- The maintainers are small devices that are placed in the mouth after teeth are lost. They act as replacements for missing teeth and prevent the shifting or tipping of teeth that remain.
- It can also help preserve jaw bone, preventing it from shrinking.
Advantages of Choosing a Best Kids Dentist Near me
There are many advantages to choosing the best kids dentist near me. It’s possible that one of them has been recommended to you before.
A filling is a restorative material that fills the interior of a tooth. Tooth Fillings are the most common way to restore a damaged tooth. They come in different types and materials but maintain the same job: to restore your tooth, filling in the hole left by decay, cracks, chips or old restorations.
If you are suffering from tooth decay, you need to know that root canal is the safest method for both the teeth and the gums. Root canals can treat most abscesses and infections of the pulp. The soft tissue inside the tooth that contains nerves and blood vessels — and save your natural tooth.
Root planing is a laser-based treatment that cleans up the root surfaces of teeth. If you have ever had your gums cleaned by your dentist, you have received a similar treatment called “scaling.” Root planning is useful to remove bacteria, which can build up around the root surfaces of the tooth. The buildup can be stubborn to remove. Root planning works by removing plaque and other materials on the root surfaces of teeth through the use of laser energy.
Most dentists recommend that children go in for their first dental check-up sometime between their first and second birthdays. A routine dental visit at this age can allow for important preventive care, such as oral cancer screening. Research has found that children begin experiencing their permanent teeth by about six years of age. So consider taking your child to the best kids dentist near me as an investment that improves their dental health and reduces the costs of maintaining good dental health.